Monday 1 June 2009

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


I have wanted to read this book for long while now and am glad I have completed it unscathed. I appreciated that I was reading a piece considered to be of literary genius but upon further research I find that her ideas were not unique to her and the story line echoed that of others around that time. I was familiar with the story of Wuthering Heights but upon reading it I was not compelled to keep turning the page. Although it was written in the beautiful style of language common to their era, the story just didn't grip me.

Heathcliff is such a cold character and uncommonly cruel in my opinion. It is as though aside from Catherine (elder) he has no other room for any form of human kindness or humanity of any sort and I therefore found him rather unbelievable.

Hareton, who is made to seem almost animal like in his conduct due to his unfortunate upbringing by Heathcliff, surprised me most. To find that he and Catherine (younger) are, by the end of the book planning on marriage was so obscure and out of any expectation I held that again it diminished the level of believability for me.


I am glad I have read it and almost feel guilty to write such a review on one of the "classics" but I have to be honest with myself and say that I didn't particularly enjoy it.


I have started reading Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte's most well favored book, and am so far really enjoying it, I will not elude any further than that at this point but to say that there is a marked difference in the content to my liking!


No comments:

Post a Comment