Monday 29 March 2010

Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell

As an avid fan of Sex and the City, I was eager to get stuck into Lipstick Jungle. From the first page however I just wasn't feeling the characters or the storyline. I can't put this down to the quality of the writing of the imagination of the story both of which were classic Bushnell at her best. I think my lack of connection to the book as a whole was more than likely due to personal experience and having no common bonds with the experiences, lifestyles and antics of the characters.


I love fashion and all things related so Victory's character was my favourite, however I felt that the representation of men in this book was too chauvinistic and unrealistic. I know that strong successful women are what Candace Bushnell does best, but I don't think this necessarily has to be done at the expense of the quality of their male counterparts.


Many story lines meshed cleverly together. Although it wasn't top of my list of favourites it was an enjoyable and quick-paced read.


6/10


1 comment: