Tuesday 9 November 2010

The Boy I Love by Marion Husband

I was immediately transported into a totally different account of this period than I have ever considered before. Of all the books and literature I have read about wars and post-war periods, I am ashamed to say this book opened doors I myself had never considered.

Written in the aftermath of World War 1, the story follows the story of Paul Harris, a soldier who fought in the war. Harris is forced out of obligation to the duty of his dead brother to marry his pregnant fiancee. Paul Harris however, is homosexual. In unbiased but passionate accounting, Marion Husband allows us into the mind of the young man who is bravely doing his duty as he sees it, to his lost brother, but fighting his longing for a man he can never openly love.

Torn by obligation and want, the reader follows his story vividly from start to finish.


Marion won the Andrea Badenoch award for fiction and the Blackwell Prize for this book, and I look forward to reading the sequel, Paper Moon, which sits proudly at the top of my Christmas list!!


10/10 for a thought-provoking, tear-jerking read.

No comments:

Post a Comment